The process of soil testing is defined as the method of carrying out a series of tests so as to control the fertility and the pH value of a soil sample. In a sample of fertile soil, all of the essential nutrients including nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium should be present in the proper amount. The pH value indicates the sample’s acidity or alkalinity. To investigate the quality of the soil, nowadays the soil testing equipment is used. There are so many types of soil testing equipment present in the market such as soil compaction testing equipment and some others are also there. Probably, the most commonly conducted soil tests are those, which have been done to evaluate the plant-available concentrations of plant nutrients so as to find out the quantity of the fertilizer needed by the soil. So, you can easily test the quality of the soil sample with the help of this soil testing equipment. You can find out the quality of soil by testing the following important parameters of the soil sample:
- pH of the soil,
- Fertility level of principal nutrients,
- Type of lime required by the soil,
- Quantity of fertilizer needed by the crop and
- Nutrients in the form of fertilizer to be added to the soil.
Here are some benefits of soil testing-
- Helps to maintain soil fertility- As we know, nowadays there are so many pollutants in the soil, which are released by industries and some other sources, which includes harmful gases and chemicals, excess fertilizers, agriculture waste, etc. In addition to all these pollutants, there may be some other reasons of soil contamination such as leaching, soil erosion, continuous cropping and change in the pH imbalance in the soil because these factors can decrease soil fertility and consequently, its yield. Mainly, the soil testing is employed for quick classification of the inherent fertility status of soils and foreseeing the nutrient requirements of plants. As we know, it is very important that in the fertile soil sample, all the macro and micronutrients should be present in the optimum amount.
- Aids better soil management- As it was discussed earlier; soil testing will be proven helpful in determining the fertility or pH value of a certain sample. So, with the help of this information, you can easily find out the type of crops that you can grow the best on a particular type of soil. Soil testing will advocate the balanced and careful use of fertilizers, which will help you in reducing the overall cost and mitigating the consequences of global warming. More wanted results can be achieved by adopting proper soil sampling techniques.
- Usage of this equipment in the construction industry- The use of soil testing equipment for construction industry is also proven to be very helpful. It is used in construction projects to inspect the chemical and geotechnical properties of a soil sample. And also to determine its strength, density etc. among various other parameters.
Now days, there are so many automated devices available in the market for soil testing. So, you can use the soil testing device to investigate the soil quality and various other parameters.