Varicose veins are the overly grown veins that have damaged valves and hence cannot maintain the unidirectional flow of blood. The swelling and twisting of such veins is the result of the accumulation of the blood inside them. Varicose veins appear to be raised above the skin surface. Mostly people are concerned about the aesthetic implications of the varicose veins that causes them stress and worries.
The bulging of the veins can increase with time as the condition prolongs without treatment. This marks a serious varicose veins condition where medication and other remedies fail to provide permanent relief. And, delaying varicose veins surgery in such a case can increase the chances of other serious harms related to varicose veins.
Harms that can arise due to delay in varicose veins surgery are:
- The veins can burst off- The large volume of blood pooled inside the veins exerts excessive pressure on the vein walls. After a certain point, the affected vein can burst. This may result in internal blood leakage and hemorrhage. The condition can be quite troublesome and may cause intense and severe pain.
- Blood clots inside veins- Due to pooling of blood and prolonged inflammation in the veins, the risk of blood clot formation increases. The accumulated blood cells can clump together to form blood clots in the deeper veins. This condition is known as deep vein thrombosis. Deep vein thrombosis may increase the pain and swelling and in severe cases, the clot can break free and lead to even life-threatening conditions such as pulmonary embolism. It is an emergency condition in which the blood travels to the lungs and interferes with its functioning.
- Venous ulcers- Ulceration in the affected veins is another harmful condition of the prolonged inflammation due to varicose veins. The condition causes a lot of pain and heaviness in the legs. In severe cases, you may also notice pus-like discharge. Venous ulcers are an emergency condition and need timely medical attention.
- Hyperpigmentation of the skin- Untreated varicose veins can lead to blood leakage to the surrounding tissues. This condition is not just painful but you may also notice the skin turning dark. This darkening of the skin is known as hyperpigmentation.
- Damaged tissues of the legs- If you leave varicose veins unattended for a long time, the skin tissues start to become stiff. Over time, the skin tissues can harden and make it difficult for the person to move his legs. This condition is known as lipodermatosclerosis and can be quite problematic.
- Increased chances of skin infections- Swollen and inflamed veins lead to overstretching of the skin tissues. This makes the skin more prone to infections. In severe cases, it may also lead to the skin infection called cellulitis.
How to treat varicose veins?
There are different surgical options to varicose veins. Open surgery, RFA (Radiofrequency Ablation), and laser surgery. The main aim of all these procedures is to reroute blood flow through healthier veins by shutting off the varicose veins.
Open surgery is the complex conventional treatment procedure in which the surgeon makes incisions on the legs and uses surgical tools to correct varicose veins. The surgery is very much invasive in nature as well as painful. The risk of complications is also considerably high and the recovery is slow.
Radiofrequency ablation or RFA is a relatively modern treatment procedure for varicose veins that uses heat energy to ablate (surgically remove) the damaged and swollen veins. It is better than open surgery but still there can be certain complications.
The best and most advanced surgery for varicose veins- laser treatment
The modern laser based surgery is the best way to get rid of the troublesome varicose veins. It is really a pain free way to cure varicose veins, that too in just one day. In laser surgery, the surgeon uses pulses of laser energy to seal off the ends of the affected veins. This stops blood flow through the damaged veins and reroutes it through healthier functioning veins. Eventually, the varicose veins collapse and fade away.
Laser varicose veins treatment does not make use of any cuts or stitches and is absolutely non-invasive. It does not involve any pain or bleeding and the procedure takes hardly 30-45 minutes to complete. You can even return home on the same day. The recovery is very fast and there is no risk of any complications.
Owing to its numerous advantages, a large number of hospitals are now shifting to the advanced laser treatment for varicose veins. One such reliable healthcare provider offering the laser treatment for varicose veins in Hyderabad and other major cities is Pristyn Care. They are partnered with the best vascular specialists and hospitals all around the country. You can easily consult one of their specialists, clear all your doubts and then undergo the surgery at one of their partner hospitals in Hyderabad.
The Last Note
Now that you have gained so much insights on the varicose veins surgery and the probable harms of avoiding it, the picture must be clearer for you. So, make sure that you reach to one of the best healthcare providers so that there is no regret after the treatment. Remember that you deserve a healthy and happy life, and there are plenty of people to extend a helping hand to help you out. Say goodbye to varicose veins without any further delays!