Transfer of vehicle ownership in Telangana
When you purchase a secondhand vehicle, the process of obtaining ownership is different from when you buy a car directly from a car dealership. As the car has been pre-owned, that is, the car has a previous owner, transferring ownership properly in accordance with the motor vehicle regulations is extremely important to avoid penalties.
There are three possible scenarios that may arise when transferring ownership of cars. The first, transfer of ownership of a vehicle registered with the same RTO as the second buyer. The second scenario is when a vehicle is owned by someone living in another state of India from the second buyer. The third scenario (and the most straightforward one) is when the buyer and seller are registered at the same RTO.
Transfer of ownership in case of a vehicle registered with a different RTO than that of the buyer
- Procure an NOC from the original RTO that the seller of the vehicle has registered the car with. The NOC allows the RTO office of the buyer to register the vehicle under its own jurisdiction, an important formality for all vehicles owned and operated in the country.
- Once the NOC is in place, the buyer or new owner must fill out the following forms:
- Original Registration Certificate
- 2 copies of duly filled & signed Form no.29 confirming that all important documents such as the registration certification, PUC check, etc, have been transferred to the new buyer
- 2 copies of duly filled & signed Form no.30 requesting urgent transfer of ownership of the vehicle
- Copy of valid insurance
- Copy of valid pollution under control certificate
- Copy of address proof of buyer (voter card/passport/telephone(BSNL/MTNL)/electricity bill/ Aadhaar/ Govt bank Account/ Registered Rent agreement)
- ID proof of the seller
- 1 passport size photo of the new Buyer
- Submission of documents
All the above documents must be submitted to the RTO in person along with the payment of a small fee to transfer the registration certificate in the name of the new buyer.
This entire process should ideally occur within 30 days of the sale of the motor vehicle.
Transfer of ownership in case of a vehicle registered in a different state than that of the buyer
In case the vehicle is purchased in a different state, the vehicle will have to be re-registered. After the NOC is procured from the original RTO – the following documents must be submitted to facilitate a re-registration of the vehicle in an RTO Telangana office.
- Original RC from another state
- Form 20
- NOC from previous RTO
- Form 27
- Form 33
- Attested copy of address proof
- Attested copy of the valid driving licence of car owner
- Attested copy of PUC Certificate
- PAN Card, Form 60, or Form 61
- Passport-size photos of the applicant
- Lending bank NOC, if the vehicle is under a loan
A new registration number is allotted within 30 days of submitting the documents.
Transfer of ownership in case of a vehicle registered with the same RTO as the new Buyer
In case of transfer of ownership for a car registered with the same RTO office as the new Buyer, there is no need to procure an NOC. The new buyer must simply submit forms and documents to transfer the registration certificate in their name and undertake all legal and regulatory responsibilities of the vehicle from then on.
All ownership documents should be in order before you take your vehicle on the road. There is a list of documents you need to keep on you including your vehicle insurance policy, vehicle fitness certification, registration certificate, driving licence, etc. Ensure that the vehicle’s insurance policy is also transferred to you. If the vehicle is not insured, find a reliable and effective insurance policy on Finserv MARKETS. Motor insurance with features such as hassle-free claim settlements, auto-renewal and add on coverage is just what your vehicle needs to get a new lease on life.